City of Northlake Youth Commission met Dec. 12.
Here is the minutes provided by the commission:
ATTENDANCE: Sheila Morgan, Sharon Budzon, John Morgan, Veronica Budzon, Mauricio Lopez
ABSENT: Rebecca Morgan
GUESTS: Francine Patti
MINUTES OF THE NOVEMBER 14, 2018 MEETING:
The minutes of the November 14, 2018 meeting were read. A motion was made by Veronica to accept the minutes. John seconded the motion. All were in favor.
1. KIDS' THANKSGIVING CRAFT NIGHT - 11/14/18 -RECAP - A total of 38 people attended our first Thanksgiving Craft Night. That was a decent turnout.
2. WINTERFEST - RECAP - We served about 410 kids; a huge number. The pace was nice and steady so we never felt mobbed. Sharon and Bob stayed open after 1pm since we still had some crafts and prizes left. They closed up at about 2pm. As usual, people were very appreciative. Mauricio took photos for future promotion of our events,
3. KIDS' BINGO NIGHT – 1/9/19 - this is scheduled for 6-8pm after our meeting at 5:30pm. It is Sharon's turn to buy the prizes, Veronica reminded us that we do have some left over from the last event. We should arrive at 5pm to set up.
1. BUILDING BLOCK CRAFT NIGHT - 3/13/19? - Sharon reported that Menards had a sale on Blocco building kits for only $2 each. Her and her husband made multiple trips to multiple stores and bought over 75 kits. We should have enough for each child to do each of the 3 styles. We will run this like the sand crafts; no treat bags, no raffles, just the projects. We are excited to bring this very different event to the children.
2. Digital Advertising - Mauricio made a presentation regarding the web site creation and/or Facebook page for the Youth Commission. We are very lucky that he is highly skilled in this area. Using this means of reaching those we serve will bring us into the current digital age and hopefully enable us to promote our events better & secure volunteers more effectively. Francine suggested that he link up with the City site so people can reach us through that connection. He has been taking photos at our recent events to post and will continue to keep us updated. Sheila will talk to the Mayor to get the approval for this project.
There was no other business discussed. Sharon moved for adjournment, seconded by John. All were in favor. Youth Commission Chairperson, Sheila Morgan, adjourned the meeting at 7:00pm. NEXT MEETING: January 9, 2019 at 5:30pm. This will take place at the Sandy Vasquez Community Center prior to our BINGO.