City of Berwyn City Council met April 23
City of Berwyn City Council met April 23.
Here is the minutes provided by the council:
1. Mayor Lovero called the Regular Meeting to Order at 8:00 p.m. Clerk Paul called the roll. The following Aldermen responded present: Lennon, Reardon, Fejt, Santoy, Ruiz, Avila, and Garcia. Ald. Avila made the motion, seconded by Ald. Reardon, to excuse Ald. Ramirez.
2. The Pledge of Allegiance was recited. A moment of silence was observed in memory of Shirley N. Chesny, and for the safety of our First Responders.
3. Open Forum was announced. Ald. Lennon announced the Depot District Pub crawl scheduled for April 27, 2019. Ald. Avila announced a 7th Ward meeting scheduled for May 8, 2019 at 5:30 in the VFW building on Harlem near 15th Street. Ald. Ruiz thanked everyone who participated in the 2019 Latina Day and then thanked Public Works Director Schiller for his assistance to the community.
4. Ald. Avila made the motion, seconded by Ald. Fejt, to approve the Minutes for the Regular Berwyn City Council meeting held on April 9, 2019 as submitted. The motion carried.
5. Item F-1 was a communication from Mayor Lovero announcing the resignation of Alderman Edgar Garcia as Eighth Ward Alderman. Mayor Lovero recognized Ald. Garcia who thanked his colleagues on the council and wished them all good luck. Ald. Garcia then made the motion, seconded by Ald. Lennon, to mark the Mayor’s communication as informational. Mayor Lovero, Ald. Reardon, and Ald. Santoy each thanked Ald. Garcia’s for his service to the community. Ald. Garcia’s motion carried.
6. Ald. Avila made a motion, seconded by Ald. Garcia, to concur with the appointment of Anthony Nowak to fill the vacated unexpired term of Eighth Ward Alderman to begin on April 24, 2019. The motion carried by a unanimous call of the roll. Thereafter, the Hon. Peter A. Felice administered the Oath of Office to Mr. Nowak.
7. Ald. Avila made the motion, seconded by Ald. Garcia, to concur in the appointment of Michael Gaudio to the rank of Probationary Firefighter Paramedic. The motion carried. Clerk Paul then administered the Oath of Office to Mr. Gaudio.
8. Ald. Avila made the motion, second by Ald. Ruiz, to mark Police Chief Cimaglia’s communication advising of a retracted “Berwyn Watch” article as informational. The motion carried.
9. Ald. Avila made the motion, seconded by Ald. Lennon, to waive the sealed bid process, accept the purchase proposal from Currie Motors Frankfort Inc., and approve the purchase of four police vehicles for an amount not to exceed $127,976.00. The motion carried by a unanimous call of the roll.
10. Ald. Lennon made the motion, seconded by Ald. Fejt, to approve as submitted the library director’s request for authorization to advertise and replace the vacant staff position of Library Assistant -1. The motion carried
11. Ald. Ruiz made the motion, seconded by Ald. Avila, to approve the bid award for the 2018 CDBG Program Year Luminaire Replacement Project to Lyons Electric Company Inc. for an amount not to exceed $200,000.00. The motion carried by a unanimous call of the roll.
12. Ald. Ruiz made the motion, seconded by Ald. Avila, to approve as submitted the Public Works Director’s request for authority to seek bids for the 2019 Pavement Patching and Resurfacing project outlined in his communication. The motion carried.
13. Ald. Avila made the motion, seconded by Ald. Lennon, to approve the Consent Agenda by omnibus vote designation. The motion carried. The following Consent Agenda items were approved:
1. Payroll: 4/17/2019 in the amount of $1,300,608.28: Informational
2. Payables: 4/11/2019 – 4/24/2019 in the amount of $742,854.46: Informational
3. Fitzgerald’s: Outdoor Concerts on 8/3, 9/13, and 9/27, 2019 from 8:00 pm – 10:00 p.m.: Approved
4. Friendly Music Festival: Street Closure for outdoor event 5/31-6/1/19 6:00 p.m. – 11:00: Approved
5. LAMA Motorcycle Club and The Garage: Street Closure for outdoor event 4-28-19 Noon to 6:00 p.m.: Approved
6. Hiawatha Elementary School Olympic Fun Day: Fire Truck June 4, 2019 2:00 p.m.: Approved
7. Berwyn Fire Dept. Fill the Boot: Use of Public Way – various locations 5/4, 5/18, 6/1/19: Approved
14. There being no further business to come before the Council, Ald. Garcia made the motion, seconded by Ald. Avila, to adjourn at the hour of 8:15 pm. The motion carried by a voice vote.