Berwyn City Council met August 22
Berwyn City Council met August 22.
Here is the minutes as provided by the council:
1. The regular meeting of the Berwyn City Council was called to order by Mayor
Lovero at 8:00 p.m. Upon the call of the roll, the following responded present:
Lennon, Ramirez, Reardon, Fejt, Santoy, Ruiz, Avila and Garcia.
2. The Pledge of Allegiance was recited and a moment of silence was given for the
family of Dr. Alice C. Zimmerman, grandmother-in-law of Detective Nicholas
Schiavone; Gussie May Robinzine, mother of Police Officer Carlas Robinzine; Vincent
Cione, father of Public Works employee Scott Cione and former Division Commander
Mark Cione; Pete Swanson, father of Township Trustee Cynthia Hayes and for the
men and women protecting our safety on the streets of Berwyn, in the Armed Forces
and all Veterans.
3. The Open Forum portion of the meeting was announced. Andy Sotiropoulos from
Connie’s spoke regarding the Piper’s Playground Luau Fundraiser on tonight’s consent
agenda. Former Alderman Nona Chapman spoke on behalf of the Depot District’s
Special Event Committee requesting funds for the Oktoberfest’s children’s area. Avila
reminded everyone of the 7
th Ward meeting on August 23rd at 6pm until 8pm at New
Life Church of Berwyn located; 1900 Oak Park Ave. Ruiz reminded everyone of the 6th
Ward meeting on August 24th at 6:30pm at the Italian-American Civic Organization.
Reardon reminded everyone of the 3rd Ward meeting on August 24th at 6:30pm at
City Hall. Ramirez announced a 2nd Ward meeting on Thursday, September 14th at
6pm at First Congregational Church, 6500 W. 34
th Street. Santoy announced the 5th
Ward meeting on Thursday, August 31, at 6:30 pm at the Department of Community
Development, 6420 W. 16th Street.
4. The minutes of the regular Berwyn City Council and of the Committee of the Whole
meetings held on August 8, 2017 were submitted. Thereafter, Avila made a motion,
seconded by Lennon, to approve the minutes as submitted and place same on file for
audit. The motion carried by a voice vote.
5. Avila made a motion, seconded by Lennon, to suspend the rules and bring forward
agenda item J-1. The motion carried. Item J-1 is a communication from Police Chief
Cimaglia requesting to swear in Probationary Police Officers Dominic R. Monaco and
John P. Wilson. Avila made a motion, seconded by Fejt, to concur and approve the
appointment as submitted. The motion carried by a voice vote. Thereafter, Clerk Paul
administered the Oath of Office.
6. The Health District submitted a request for parking restrictions for their upcoming
Health & Fitness Fair on September 30, 2017. Thereafter, Fejt made a motion,
seconded by Reardon, to concur and approve as submitted. The motion carried by a
7. The Berwyn Development Corporation submitted a request to change the date of
their previously approved Zombie Walk to October 28, 2017. Thereafter, Avila made a
motion, seconded by Lennon, to concur and approve as submitted. The motion
carried by a voice vote.
8. Deferred item from City Clerk Margaret Paul regarding Handicap Parking Application
#1124 – 3746 S. Oak Park was resubmitted. Thereafter, Lennon made a motion,
second by Santoy, to concur, grant permission to override the staff’s
recommendation and deny the application due to the location of a bus stop. The
motion carried by a voice vote.
9. City Clerk Margaret Paul submitted an amended communication on behalf of Kenneth
Edwards, Esq. who requested permission for the IUOE, Local 150 to peacefully
protest at the intersections of Roosevelt and Oak Park Avenue on August 23, 2017.
Thereafter, Garcia made a motion, seconded by Avila, to concur and approve as
amended. The motion carried by a voice vote.
10. The Board of Appeals submitted a request for Conditional Use to locate a
Business/Professional Office Use in a Retail Overlay District at 6450 W. Cermak Road
and an attached ordinance entitled: An Ordinance Approving a Conditional Use
for a Business/Professional Office within a Retail Overlay District in the C-2
General Commercial Zoning District at 6450 W. Cermak Road, Berwyn,
Illinois – Help At Home, LLC. Thereafter, Ruiz made a motion, seconded by
Santoy, to concur, adopt the ordinance and authorize the corporate authorities to
affix their signatures thereto. The motion carried by a unanimous roll call vote.
11. Alderman Ruiz submitted a communication on behalf of Chicagoland Association of
Realtors. The Mayor recognized Brian Bernadoni and Antony Nowak who then
presented Building Director Charles Lazzara and staff with a plaque in appreciation of
the department’s public service.
12. Assistant City Administrator Ruth Volbre submitted a communication requesting
permission for Empire/20th Century Fox Television to film at City Hall for their
upcoming show. The Mayor recognized Ruth Volbre who reviewed same. Thereafter,
Garcia made a motion, seconded by Avila, to concur and approve as submitted.
13. The Finance Director submitted a communication regarding the 2016 Comprehensive
Annual Financial Report. Thereafter, Lennon made a motion, seconded by Fejt, to
accept as informational. The motion carried by a voice vote
14. Library Director Keshia Garnett submitted a communication requesting authorization
to advertise and hire library staff to fill the vacancies of Readers’ Advisory/Teen
Librarian II (40 hours); Maintenance Assistant (21 hours) and Readers’ Advisory/Teen
Library Assistant II (18 hours). Thereafter, Lennon made a motion, seconded by
Avila, to concur and approve as submitted. The motion carried by a voice vote.
15. Building Director Charles Lazzara submitted a communication regarding the
Demolition of the 3309 S. Home. Thereafter, Lennon made a motion, seconded by
Avila, to concur, waive the Bid process and grant permission for the demolition of
said property. The motion carried by a voice vote.
16. Avila made a motion, seconded by Lennon, to include items K-10 and K-11 onto the
consent agenda. The motion carried. The consent agenda, items K-1 through K-11
1. Payroll: 8/9/2017 $1,263,534.30
2. Payables: 8/22/2017 $2,070,819.75
3. Connie’s: Piper Playground Fundraiser 8/24/2017
4. Dedicated to Youth Ministries: Sidewalk Sale 8/25/2017 & 8/26/2017
5. Unity Lutheran Church: Annual 1st Responders Car Wash 9/10/2017
6. Block Party: 1200 block of Wenonah 8/26/2017
7. Block Party: 1500 block of Home 9/3/2017 Rain date 9/4/2017
8. Block Front Yard Sale: 1900 block of Clinton 9/9/2017 Rain date 9/16/2017
9. Handicap Parking Application #1159 – 3642 S. Harvey – Denied
10. Block Party: 2800 block of Wenonah 8/26/2017 Rain date 9/2/2017
11. Block Party: 1800 block of Maple 9/9/2017 Rain date 9/16/2017
Thereafter, Avila made a motion, seconded by Fejt, to concur, approve as amended
and approve by omnibus vote designation. The motion carried by a voice vote.
17. Alderman Santoy called an Ad-hoc Lead Poisoning Committee meeting for Tuesday,
September 5, 2017 at 6:30 pm.
18. There being no further business to come before the Council, Lennon made the
motion, seconded by Ruiz, to adjourn at the hour of 8:31 p.m. The motion carried by
a voice vote.